Continued dedication to delivering innovative solutions, environmental stewardship and community infrastructure investment
In 2022, American Water, like many companies coming out of the COVID-19 public health emergency, projected a year of transformative growth – welcoming our workforce back to the office, introducing a new CEO and more. Additionally, the company reaffirmed its industry-leading experience and expertise, state-of-the-art technology implementation in water quality and testing, providing solutions through ample infrastructure investment and improved customer experience and stalwart commitment to the communities it serves. With operations in 24 states, American Water leverages tremendous expertise and financial strength but remains local to the core across its national footprint.
Below showcases the company’s successes throughout the year:
- Welcomed more than 70,000 water and wastewater customers across our national, regulated footprint. From York, Pa. to Eureka, Mo. to Waverly, Va. and beyond, we are proud to provide clean, safe, reliable and affordable water and wastewater services to these communities.
- Awarded a contract for ownership, operation, maintenance and replacement of the wastewater utility system assets at Naval Station Mayport in Jacksonville, Fla. – American Water’s first Navy installation.
- Earned over 25 awards and recognitions, including the 2022 WaterSense® Excellence Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security SAFETY Act Designation, Newsweek’s list of America’s Most Trusted Companies, named on Corporate Knights’ 18th annual Global 100 list of the World’s Most Sustainable Corporations, Barron’s 100 Most Sustainable Companies for 2022, VETS Indexes 3 Star Employer, Leading Disability Employer by the National Organization on Disability, among others.
- Successfully launched several new digital features to provide customers with an improved customer experience. Ongoing enhancements helped to reach two new milestones: More than two million customers are now enrolled in MyWater, American Water’s online self-service customer portal, and more than one million customers are now enrolled in paperless billing, a secure, convenient and sustainable way for customers to receive their bill.
- More than 800 employees volunteered during our annual AmerICANs in Action! Month of Service, participating in 86 community volunteer projects and providing 2,600+ hours of service.
- Awarded nearly $3 million through the American Water Charitable Foundation to deserving nonprofits across our footprint.
- Raised the bar on meaningful environmental contributions with a new ESG goal of reaching net zero emissions by 2050.
- Launched a new, interactive website, diversityataw.com, that communicates the company’s efforts to build an inclusive workplace. The new website will be updated quarterly to reflect current workforce diversity data.
- Announced a $1 million commitment to students continuing education through a new Inclusion and Diversity Scholarship Program
- Awarded a Water Research Foundation research grant to help assist the water industry to better understand how disinfectants reduce opportunistic pathogens, including Legionella
- Several state subsidiaries scored high in the J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Water Utility Residential Customer Satisfaction StudySM, with Illinois American Water taking first place for the third consecutive year in the Midwest Large Region.
These accomplishments were achieved thanks to the continued support and trust of American Water’s customers, employees and the communities we are privileged to serve.