Recently, gardening has taken root in the lives of many people. During the last few months, people took to their backyards, windowsills, porches and greenhouses, looking for a new hobby. Gardening has become one of America’s favorite socially-distant-safe pastimes. Fruits, vegetables and herbs can now be found growing in yards all around the neighborhood. From the moment you plant the seeds to the last sip or bite, the quality of water you use to garden matters. For countless Americans, that means the quality of the water coming straight from the tap.
Every day, American Water provides clean, safe, reliable water and that means every time our customers sip water from the sink, bite into produce that came from their yard, or cook with herbs growing by their kitchen window, they can be sure the water that it came from or was grown with is safe and of the highest quality.
By providing reliable and consistent access to clean, safe water from every faucet and spigot in your home, we hope you’ll enjoy some of these fun, healthy gardening-during-quarantine tips this summer.
- Spice up your drinking water! Homegrown citrus such as lemons, limes, oranges and/or herbs such as mint can add flavor to your essential summer hydration.
- Have a homegrown happy hour. At-home cocktails and mocktails can help liven up an online happy hour with friends. Expert tip: get creative by making your own garden-infused simple syrup with the produce/herb of your choice.
- Cool off with homemade popsicles. What’s better on a hot day than a frozen, fruity popsicle? Use the lemons, limes, berries and melons from your garden, and maybe even some lavender or basil, if you’re feeling adventurous.
- Gardening lessons for kids. Growing a healthy garden can provide a great learning experience for kids of any age. Whether it’s giving them the responsibility of daily watering or using your garden to teach short lessons on how food grows, gardening is a fun and instructive outdoor activity.
- Watering with recyclables. Take an empty bottle, fill with water, poke holes in the cap and place upside down in a potted plant. If you go away for a few days, the bottle will take care of slowly watering the plant for you.
American Water is dedicated to providing safe, clean, reliable water service to its customers. So, during this unprecedented summer season, you can be sure the water going into your food, drinks and fun is of the highest quality.